Wednesday, September 9, 2009

clean out the pantry and freezer minestrone



This is definitely more of a method than a list of ingredients. After coming home from several days away I wanted to use some of what I already had on hand to make a quick, healthful meal that we could enjoy for dinner, and that would give me leftovers to bring for lunch for the rest of the week. To make a pasta fagioli soup just stir some cooked whole wheat shell pasta in before serving. To really make either of those soups authentic add a parmesan rind during cooking, but I didn't happen to have one on hand. I estimated the measurements of all of these ingredients as I just tossed bits in of everything, this soup is very forgiving, no measuring required.

Minestrone

-1 yellow onion, diced
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-3 cups broth (whatever kind you have on hand)
-2 cups water
-1 bag assorted frozen veggies (or whatever fresh veggies you have on hand... carrots, green beans, peas and even zucchini would be the most authentic for minestrone)
-fresh ground pepper
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 tablespoon sugar
-few dashes of cayenne pepper (not authentic for minestrone, but gives the soup a nice kick)
-1 bay leaf
-1 teaspoon oregano
-any combination of crushed, diced, or sauce tomatoes to add up to about a 29 oz can (I used a 29 oz can of diced tomatoes for this batch)
-3 cups of kidney or garbanzo beans (I used 1 1/2 cups of each for this batch)

Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in stock pot. Saute onions and garlic until soft (about 5 minutes). Stir in all remaining ingredients (except beans) and simmer until veggies reach desired tenderness. Stir in beans, heat until warm and serve.

This post is being linked to Works for Me Wednesday at We Are That Family, because making a pot of soup to clean out the pantry and freezer works for me.

Shannon

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I LOVE soup! :P

By the way I think this is my first visit to your blog, I am looking for followers at any (or even all) of my blogs so feel free to go on over and say hello and follow my blog(s) and I'll be sure to return the favor!

My family blog: http://jessicaslilcorner.blogspot.com (followers link is on the bottom)

My custom design blog (I am currently offering FREE designs for blogs): http://sostylilized.blogspot.com (followers link is on the side)

My photography blog: http://www.jessicaslilmoments.com (followers link is on the side)

Have a blessed rest of the week! :)